Elliott Hampton

Elliott Hampton
Elliott Hampton

Monday, July 4, 2011

Weaning off the Nitric Oxide nicely

I just popped in to see Elliott on my way back from picking up the key to our room at the Ronald McDonald House (RMH). Okay, I admit it, Elliott's room is not on the way back from the RMH. I got on the elevator for the upper floors and 18 was calling me. Anyway, I popped in and he was trucking along with sats in the 90s and nitric oxide at 15ppm (down from 20 this afternoon, they are dropping it 1ppm per half hour). Woohoo! I'll check him again in a bit, before we leave the Ronald McDonald Family room on 17 and move all our stuff to our room at the RMH.

Speaking of RMH, I would like to emphasize that RMH is an amazing facility. With Elliott's turbulent few nights, being on the same campus in a comfortable room with a shower and bathroom means infinitely better sleep than in a recliner in the waiting room. Despite the urging of some, I am just not comfortable leaving the hospital. In addition to the sleeping accomodations, RMH has a family room on 17- the CVICU waiting room. The family room on 17 has a full kitchen, ice machine, is always stocked with snacks, coffee, tea, and lemonade. At around 7pm, the volunteers bring freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. I sincerely hope that we will be able to give back to RMH in the future. My mom went through her prolific stash of hotel toiletries and brought a heap of them to RMH. Thank you, mom. I am in the Junior League of Houston provisional class for January, and RMH at TCH is one of their major philanthropies. TCH was actually founded with seed money from a well-baby clinic started by the JL. So, I will be spending a lot of time here next spring and summer....

No comments:

Post a Comment