Elliott Hampton

Elliott Hampton
Elliott Hampton

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Conversations with E

****go to www.ktbwalks.org/team/elliott to support or join Elliott's Entourage in the February 18th  Keep the Beat Walk to support the It's My Heart Foundation! *****

It has been a hectic week. First, I found out our beloved cardiologist, Dr. Petit, is moving to Atlanta. I took the news pretty hard. We loved Dr. Petit from the moment we met him in the NICU. He is not only a stellar cardiologist in the technical sense, but also in terms of bedside manner. From the start he treated me as a member of Elliott's team. He went to bat for me with the neonatologist when Elliott was in NICU, recognizing that E was ready to go home in my very capable hands. There are some lucky babies and mommas & daddies in Atlanta gaining a gem. Next, We had to decide who to go to next. I had several experiences with docs during Elliott's CVICU stay. Most were positive a couple were not so positive (mostly in terms of bedside manner). They were ALL booked through June. Elliott's follow up was to be in March. After I hung up with the scheduler, I lost it. I never would have expected to have such a dramatic reaction. What? I am sure many of you who know me well are not surprised. Me, dramatic? Never! Anyway, after I collected myself and developed a list of names, I called back. Of course, they were now closed. About ten minutes later, the scheduler called me back. She said I tugged at her heart strings and she found an opening with the Chief of Cardiology. Although it is at the end of April, I took it. I called her supervisor to express my gratitude with her service.

Next up: Physical Therapy. I understood that they would call me to schedule E's PT. Yet it had been two weeks with no call. Frankly, the home stretching program is a bit disturbing, as E fights it and I am fearful of breaking his neck. He is a strong little booger. As it turns out, there has been a paperwork issue and the angel who usually handles all of that is out on medical leave. I don't use that term, angel, lightly. Linda was so incredibly accommodating with scheduling Elliott's X-rays and PT eval. Anyway, blah blah coordinating with pediatrician to fax this and that, we got to the point that they would even discuss scheduling with me. Of course, only mid morning appointments were available. Not possible. I would have to cancel therapy with my kids to take Elliott to therapy. Then the grey fog of momma guilt set in. It was thick. Am I really choosing the kids at school over my very own son? Ugh. Well, a bit later she called back with a time slot at 4:15 on Tuesdays. It's not with the sweet PT who did the eval, but it is the perfect day and time!

This week, Elliott has had play dates so graciously hosted my friend, Michelle. Today, he sat by himself while playing with Corbin!





"See, Elliott, this is how you do it. You try!" Corbin is a very good teacher.




Corbin decided that since his Hungry Alligator toy was in Elliott's capable hands, it was safe for him to explore the house in search of mischief




He also had a terrific conversation with his Aunt Amanda. I believe they were discussing the hard glottal attacks and bilabial fricatives (excuse the dorky speechie terminology).


****go to www.ktbwalks.org/team/elliott to support or join Elliott's Entourage in the February 18th  Keep the Beat Walk to support the It's My Heart Foundation! *****

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment